Saturday 27 July 2013

LONG LONG DRIVE > > > > > > >

Today we awoke early, Dougie was going for a surf lesson and I was going to laze about in preparation for our long  drive. We had planned on leaving at 6am but no one had any surf lessons available yesterday so dougs had to go this morning.
The long drive was from Caberton to Granada or a town outside Granada that my dads other half ( best mate though really they are like laurel and hardy) owns. The drive was long, I tried to do the first stint but only lasted 10 miles, Dougs took over and 150 miles later we pulled over on a picnic area in ESPANIA!!!!

It was HOT! I know that’s stupid to say, but driving in a van with -he haw- air conditioning is MELTING YOUR FACE OFF HOT. I swear the dash board looked like it was sweating. Dexter thankfully has realised that he can jump into the back and lie on our bed in the shade. He spends most of his time there, which means I contort into differing positions to try and sleep. 
Todays position was described to me as a bit like Rab C, Dougs said all he needed was a string vest and a Tennants can I woulda made it look even prettier.

Anyways, I took over, singing along to my ipod, dougie having to take the battering to his ears of BACKSTREET (always think of Kerry from work when I hear them), Nsync (kellyann and I’s shared guilty pleasure among others), Spice girls – I went on to tell Dougie how myself and my friends Karen and Fiona had our set spice girls and we only sang our bits. Once Dougies ears had thoroughly bled, I decided I needed and I mean NEEDED a burger.

Burger King at 9.30 and the drive onwards, 230 miles to go and DOugie was taking first turn with a Mug full of hot strong coffee. I awoke with only 60 miles left –what a sweetheart.
So we arrive here about 3.30am and it is glorious, simply gorgeous, a FRIDGE!!! A WASHING MACHINE AND . . . . . . .drum roll please AIR CONDITIONING to name a couple of splendid things. Right now Dougs is at the door with the cooler so I am off to make him a cheese and onion toastie, for all his efforts.


Travelling together in these heats and in the confines of a van isn't pain free, we get agitated and grumpy and usually one of us being so quickly makes the other, however we have gotten pretty great at sorting that out quickly .  Which is good, or I may have thrown myself out of the speeding vehicle a few times already :)

2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of when Mr H and I were on our travels and we decided to drive from Brussels to Vienna (piece of cake ;-) ) We were in an Citroen AX with most of our belonging in the back, no air conditioning and it was 1000 degrees! (this might be a slight exaggeration ;-) )
    Hope you are having a great time.
    Jax xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving your new blog!! Glad you guys are enjoying your journey, and sounds like it's giving you plenty 'thinking' time to process that last few years!! xxx

    ReplyDelete